ERP in Mali
Mali, situated in West Africa is a landlocked nation and is the 8th largest country in Africa. During its most prosperous age, around 1300 A.D., Mali was a part of the Mali Empire which stretched right up to the coast of West Africa. In the late 19th century Mali came under French control and became a part of French Sudan. By 1905 a majority of Mali was firmly under the control of the French. Mali acquired independence in 1960 and had a population of about 4.1 Million which has now become 14.5 Million of which about half the populace lives below the international poverty line. Mali witnessed rapid growth from 1992 after political stability was achieved in the country. In 2012 an armed conflict broke out and it was only in 2013 that the civilian rule was re-established within the country.
Economy of Mali – A Quick Look
The economy of Mali is primarily based on agriculture as the rural population is involved with subsistence agriculture. Cotton is the largest produced crop followed by rice, millets, corn, etc. Mali relaxed its mining code in 1991 and thereafter saw a flurry of activity in this sector. Today, Mali is the 3rd largest producer of gold in Africa, after South Africa and Ghana. Mali has witnessed a steady increase in GDP from US$ 3.4 Billion in 2002 to US$ 5.8 Billion in 2005. This roughly translates to an annual growth rate of 17.6%. Mali’s most productive agricultural lands are found on the banks of River Niger between Mopti and Bamako and extendup to the borders of Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and Guinea. This fertile land produces rice, maize, tobacco, vegetables, cotton, pearl millet and tree crops. The livestock resources include millions of goats, sheep and cattle. The Niger River can play a great role as a source of fishes for a livelihood through fishing.
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in Mali
An Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System can play an extremely critical role in the nascent business environment in Mali. The implementation of a versatile ERP system in an enterprise brings about adoption of internationally accepted best processes and practices. It seamlessly automates all functions and ensures that everyone accesses the same data and there is only “One Version of the Truth”. An ERP Software also ensures that the management has a tight operational control across all their departments, locations and lines of business. High Quality Business Intelligence and Analytics ensure that the management is well-equipped to take well-informed decisions promptly for course-correction of existing business, diversification or expansion. An ERP Software also reduces the possibility of human error and drastic reduction in the time spent in duplication of entry or in assimilating data for reconciliation and report generation. As is evident from some of the features of a powerful ERP System as mentioned above, an ERP can play an integral role in enhancing the productivity of an enterprise, cutting down on wastage and increasing the competitiveness of a Mali enterprise and making it ready to compete globally.
Critical Benefits of an ERP in the Manufacturing/Mining Sectors:
- Transparent Operational Control:ERP Software is designed in such a way that it can provide transparent operational control across all functions in an enterprise.
- Reduce Manufacturing Cost:Production cost can be reduced significantly with an increase in the optimum resource utilization.
- Complete Information Management:An ERP Suite helps in effortlessly managing huge amounts of information and to carry out data analysis using powerful in-built statistical models and Business Intelligence (BI) Tools.
- Customization:A mature ERP System has the capability to be customized to suit specific client requirements. This ensures that the ERP adapts to certain specific requirements of a client seamlessly and these don’t become ahindrance in the overall enterprise automation journey of the enterprise.
- Sales andDistribution:An ERP System has a powerful feature-packed Sales & Distribution Module which helps in automating the processing of Sales Orders, aligning Production with the customer requirement and ensuring that deliveries are effected as per the demands of the customer. This ensures in a satisfied customer which further translates in increased business and customer loyalty in the long run.
- Planning andControl:An ERP Software can streamline Production and Production Planning processes so that the manufacturing capacity is used in an optimum manner, inventory and procurement are aligned with the needs of the Production Department and the Production Resources do not sit idle for want of adequate raw material.
Besides all these benefits, an ERP Software also plays a critical role in automating the functioning of Finance, Inventory, HRM and all other functions in an enterprise.